Aside from hiring a bug exterminator, there is more you can do to get rid of Bark Scorpions. In Vegas and Henderson we are becoming our own Scorpion Hit Squads at night. Hunting with black lights and kitchen tongs. Sounds a bit extreme? If your finding Bark Scorpions in your home, you’ll do whatever it takes to not get stung. The BARK SCORPIONS sting that is more often very painfully to adults can be deadly to babies, the elderly, and small animals.
Get Rid of Bark Scorpions – The Hunt
Of course the main goal is to get rid of the scorpions all together! I don’t enjoy making the kids check their shoes for scorpions before they put them on or finding scorpions in toy boxes, in cereal bowls, on door handles (yup, I about died trying to enter my house), corners, and camouflaged into any brown carpeting is just enough to drive a sane person into a crazed scorpion hunting maniac.
How to scorpion hunt in Vegas:
- Firstly, buy a battery operated black light. Scorpions glow when under a black light. The glow a green when under a black light. A Portable Black Light is your best bet. Usually under $7.
- A stick with a flat end, to crush the little bugger or a glass jar as they cannot climb up glass.
- You can also trap it into a container and place in the freezer. This is the most humane way to kill them, per the Springs Preserve.
- Long tongs to pick them up with. *Make sure the tongs meet at the pick up point.
- You can pierce the exoskeleton of a scorpion and drag it on the ground…..and it will still run around. Don’t just kill the scorpion and leave it there. Pick it up with a pair of tongs and remove it. Remember, Bark Scorpions eat other Bark Scorpions!
- Since scorpions have no bones, they can flatten themselves out to 1/16th of an inch (as flat as your credit card) and slide right in the cracks of your outside walls.
- The best Scorpion Hunting Time is after the sun goes down. Using your black light, they will be easy to spot as they glow. Using a flat ended stick you can kill them and use your tongs to retrieve them. *If the scorpion is not retrieved, they become nourishment for other scorpions.
Get Rid of Bark Scorpions
Tips and Tricks for Riding Your Home of scorpions All Together:
#1 – Fix holes and cracks to make entering the home less inviting
Caulk around all holes and other entrance possibilities where your pipes and other plumbing enters rooms in your home. Start from the main floor and go upward, and seal all the areas around pipes,drains, fittings, walls, vents, etc., where a scorpion might gain access to the house. This includes ceiling fixtures because scorpions can climb. REMOVE YOUR DOG DOOR.
- Look outside too. Check the mesh over the dryer vent and any holes around it. Check everywhere that cables, wires, and pipes enter the house, as well as for any holes in the walls, doors, and windows. Your heating and air-conditioning outlets should also be checked.
- Install weather-stripping around loose-fitting windows and doors. Be sure that all window and door screens are in good conditions, free of holes or tears.
- Fix leaky faucets, pipes, and any other dripping sources of water.
#2 – Plant lavender or cedar near doors
Don’t want to plant anything? You can buy dried plants, or use lavender essentials oils when cleaning your home. I have herd that the live plants do a better job at deterring the scorpions though.
#3 – Clear up your yard of any debris
Get rid of scorpion hiding places. They love hiding in piles of wood, rocks, and dead leaves, and can also be found in compost heaps.
- Keep the lawn mowed at all times, and prune bushes and overhanging branches to keep these away from your house, garage, and shed walls.
Some local areas are taking the fight to the neighborhoods! If just one house is treating, the scorpion issue won’t go away. Talk to your neighbors about who they are using to bug spray. See if you can get a group deal if everyone on your block uses the same company. The idea is for everyone to treat and take preventative measures.
- Dust and vacuum in corners and normally undisturbed places where scorpions hide.
- Don’t walk around the house at night in bare feet, but also don’t put slippers on without checking for SCORPIONS first.
- Hire a bug company to spray – killing the food source for the scorpions is very effective!
- It takes a lot to kill a scorpion. It takes serious spray for it to curl up and die. Use the BUG COMPANIES with the strong scorpion killer chemicals AT NIGHT.
- Buy a bottle of Lavender Essential Oil. It can be generic, nonfood grade. Usually under $7 from Amazon.
Scorpions hate the smell of lavender. Spray your perimeter with the Lavender Essential Oil and make sure to diluted with water. I usually spay the kids rooms too.
- Cut back your trees and bushes from your house.
What a Bark Scorpion in Las Vegas Sting is like and how to Treat:
Where do I get anti-venom?
A scorpion sting may result in some pain, itching, swelling, or tenderness of the area. Some children are not allergic (each of my 3 kids have been stung and none are allergic – so an ice bag did the trick for us!). There is no need to run immediately to the ER. Wait, and watch. Look for fever or excessive pain. Heart racing or struggles in breathing. If these symptoms appear, go to SUNRISE CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL ASAP. It’s better to be safe then sorry. When going to the ER, try to bring the body of the scorpion with you to the hospital. It let’s the staff know what stung your child and what anti-venom they may need.
The great majority of scorpion stings occur on the hands and feet. The Arizona Bark Scorpion is most dangerous if the person stung has an allergic reaction.
CALL POISON CONTROL if you have questions or concerns 1-800-222-1222
What tips and ideas do you have to win this battle (as best we can)?