Mt Charleston Winter Guide - 2024
December 20, 2023
As of this date of publishing, there is no snow on Mt Charleston outside of what is at Lee Canyon. Lee Canyon currently has on trail open, Rabbit Peak. This article will be updated as conditions change and we move forward into winter weather.
Lee Canyon is offering FREE SEASON PASS FOR KIDS! Get the details HERE!
Mt Charleston Winter: Snow Play & Sledding
Snow in Las Vegas? It’s a rare site to see, but thankfully we can escape to Mt. Charleston in the winter for skiing, snowboarding, sledding, and snow play.
When was the last time there was snow in Las Vegas?
In 2019, Las Vegas got just over 1 inch of snow, and locals flocked to area parks to enjoy the winter fun. It was just enough for some casual sledding and snowman building for one whole day.
December 2008 was the last BIG snow in Las Vegas. More than 3.5 inches were recorded that snowfall. It was a winter wonderland.
Mt Charleston Winter Guide 2024
What to Know About Snow on Mt Charleston
Go Early or Go Home
Weekends and Winter Break are very busy times on Mt. Charleston. If you plan to go to open areas for sledding, go early or be prepared to be turned away. When parking is at capacity and roads are busy, no more cars will be allowed.
DO NOT go up the mountain unprepared. Here’s what you need to ensure your safety and the safety of others while on Mt. Charleston
- a full tank of gas. There is no gas on Mt. Charleston
- snow tires or chains. While not always required, it is best practice. If you don’t have chains and snow tires, avoid parking in slushy areas so you don’t get stuck.
- a bag of kitty litter will be helpful if you get stuck
- blankets and even a change of clothes
- plenty of water and snacks
- a trash bag to take everything you brought up the mountain back down with you.
Rules for Sledding
- Sled only in open areas. Avoid trees and fences.
- DO NOT sled near roads
- Snow should be at least 12″ deep for sledding
- Protect your head. Wear a helmet when sledding.
- Feet first when sledding.
- DON’T BE TRASHY. If you bring it up, you must bring it down. Do not leave a broken sled behind.
Where to Sled on Mt. Charleston
Kyle Canyon Picnic Area
Sawmill Picnic Area
Deer Creek Picnic Area
Lee Canyon does not offer sledding at the resort or any area it manages on Mt. Charleston.
Depending on conditions, delays and periodic road closures may occur on Nevada State Routes 156 (Lee Canyon Road), 157 (Kyle Canyon Road) and 158 (Deer Creek Road).
Where to buy sleds
Dick’s Sporting Goods
You can choose to pick up, shop in store, or have one shipped
In years past Big 5 locations have offered a rental service, but we have not confirmed that for this season.
Costco often has large and very durable sleds in store this time of year for less than $30
Lee Canyon is now open for the 2023- 2024 season. The resort offers skiing and snowboarding, including lessons and equipment rentals.
Lee Canyon does not have tubing or sledding.
In addition to skiing and snowboarding, Lee Canyon manages 3 areas for winter camping, snowshoeing, and snow play.
Reservations at Lee Canyon and the sites it manages take priority during busy times on Mt. Charleston. It is advised that you reserve your space for the snow play areas in advance. Please check for current conditions on the mountain before heading up to play.